was the second to last painting finished for the book, and of all of
them, probably made me the most apprehensive. I knew the effect I
wanted. I wanted it to be really impressive, with a large detailed
picture of a monarch or two in the foreground. The problem was I
didn't "see" this one very well in my mind which is my brain's
way of telling me I didn't really know what to do yet.
always tell my students to try and solve their problems with studies and
comps. Occasionally, I'll even follow my own advice! I tried
out some of the ideas I had in the color
comp, and was really pleased with the results, so I used it as a
guide doing the painting.